This is a great combination of fall flavors with the tart cranberries offsetting the sweetness of the apples. Outside of the crust this is a very simple recipe to put together.
I cheated on this one and used a store bought pie crust. If you looking for a good pie recipe for the upcoming Thanksgiving Day holiday give this one a try; it’s really good.
Adapted from ocean spray
- 4 cups apples (peeled and sliced)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or almonds
- Pie crust for a 2 crust pie (favorite recipe or store bought)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl staring with the apple slices mix all the ingredients together using a wood spoon until well combined.
- Place one crust into the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate, tilt the bowl over the crust and spoon the apple mixture into the crust, and cover with the other crust, cutting several slits in the crust to vent it.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown and place on a wire rack to cool.
- (if edges on the pie start to get to dark cover edges with aluminum foil)
- Tip: I cover the edges with aluminum foil right from the start and then remove the foil toward the end of the baking cycle.