When I was talking to my son who owns Blogchef.net he told me about a knock off recipe for Applebee’s restaurant he thought was really good. I was looking for something to put on the menu for supper so I decided to give this Applebee’s Three-cheese Chicken Penne Recipe a try. I have never ordered this dish at Applebee’s so I’m not sure how really clos it is; but it’s delicious. The flavor of the grilled chicken, and three cheese combination makes this dish hard to beat. This would also be a great dish for a pot luck or social get-together.
Don’t pass this one up, your family and friends will love this Applebee’s Three-cheese Chicken Penne Recipe. Enjoy
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded down to about 1 inch)
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing (I used Zesty Italian)
- 3 cups penne pasta
- 15 ounce jar alfredo sauce
- 8 ounces combination of shredded Italian cheeses (mozzarella, parmesan, and provolone – I used Italian Cheese Blend)
- 4 roma tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the chicken breasts between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound the chicken down to about ½ inch in thickness. Place the chicken in a food grade disposable plastic bag and cover with Italian dressing. Refrigerate and marinade for at least 2 hours (I did this in the morning when I 1st got up and let it marinade until supper time.)
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade; discarding the marinade. Cook the chicken over lightly greased grill grates, flipping the chicken at least once during grilling. Cook to an internal temperature of 165F. Remove the chicken to a serving platter and let cool for about 10 minutes and then cut into bite size pieces.
- While the chicken is cooking cook the pasta according to package directions; rinse and drain.
- Using the same pan you cooked the pasta in, mix in the alfredo sauce, and then fold in the chicken. Pour the mixture into a 13 x 9 lightly greased casserole dish, top with the Italian cheese blend, and bake for 30 minutes at 350F until cheese is slightly browned and casserole is bubbly.
- While the casserole is cooking in a medium size bowl mix together the olive oil, garlic, basil and tomatoes.
- Serve the casserole topped with the tomato Basil mixture.