Banana bread has always been one of my favorite sweets so when I saw this Black Bottom Banana Bread Bars recipe I had to give it a try. This recipe is pretty much a basic banana bread recipe with cocoa added to it. I prepared the recipe as written, but I think the addition of some chopped walnuts would be a good added ingredient. I decided to frost them with cream cheese frosting and the end result was delicious.
If you like banana bread give this one a try; it’s really good
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar together, mix in the egg and vanilla, mixing until thoroughly combined, and then fold in the mashed bananas.
- In another bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the banana mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the batter in half between the 2 bowls and mix the cocoa into one of them until combined. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray and spread the batter with the cocoa over the bottom. Spoon the other bowl of batter over the top and swirl it in with a knife.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool thoroughly before serving or frosting; cut into bar size pieces