Buttermilk Chicken Nuggets Recipe
Popcorn chicken, chicken nuggets, or chicken tenders; whatever you want to call it, this recipe is delicious. The combination of the buttermilk and added spices is perfect. The end result is juicy and tender boneless chicken. I followed the recipe as written. There is a little bit of time involved for marinating the chicken in the buttermilk mixture. Outside of that, because of the size of the chicken pieces, this recipe cooks rather quickly. Serve with your choice of sauces and your family and guests will love it. Set these Buttermilk Chicken Nuggets on a table in front of football fans, and I guarantee, there will be no leftovers.
This one goes on my favorite list. Enjoy
3 boneless- skinless chicken breasts
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp sea salt (divided)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp onion powder
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Oil for deep-frying
1. Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
2. In a large bowl combine the buttermilk, 1 teaspoon salt; then add the chicken. Refrigerate and marinate 1 hour or longer. (I was pressed for time and one hour worked out fine)
3. Meanwhile in a plastic food bag combine the flour, 1 teaspoon of sea salt, baking powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, turmeric, onion powder, and add black pepper to taste.
4. Preheat deep fryer to 350F.
5. Using a slotted spoon to drain off the buttermilk remove the chicken several pieces at a time; about enough that your deep fryer can hold without crowding. Shake chicken in the bag of flour mixture to coat, shaking off any excess flour.
6. Deep fry chicken until juices run clear, or an internal temperature of 165F is reached.
Serve with your choice of sauces