The weather really cooled down here in upper Michigan today, so I thought it would be a great day to put something in the oven. At the beginning of summer we have a lot of sweets in the freezer and by the end of the summer most of them are gone so I decided on this Butterscotch Cheesecake Bars Recipe. I thought butterscotch sounded good for a change and the idea of combing butterscotch with cream cheese sounded even better. This is a simple recipe that doesn’t call for a lot of ingredients, it’s quick to put together and cooks fairly quickly. To melt the margarine and butterscotch I used the microwave instead of the stove which worked out very well. The original recipe doesn’t call for frosting them but I thought they would take a nicer picture with the cream cheese frosting on top. This is a very rich dessert so the frosting is not necessary, so I listed it as optional.
If you’re in the mood to do a little baking give this Butterscotch Cheesecake Bars Recipe a try. It’s delicious. Enjoy
- 11 ounce package butterscotch chips or morsels
- 1/ 2 cup margarine
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 8 ounce package of cream cheese
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream cheese frosting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the butterscotch chips in a large bowl with the margarine. Microwave for 1 minute, stir the mixture, and cook for another 30 seconds in the microwave. Stir until all the chips are melted.
- Stir in the graham cracker crumbs and the chopped nuts. In a separate bowl using an electric mixer combine the cream cheese, egg, condensed milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a 9 x 13 inch baking pan coated with cooking spray press in ½ of the graham cracker mixture. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the top, and then sprinkle in the other half of the graham cracker crumbs on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes-chill and then cut into bars.
- If you use frosting make sure the bars are completely cooled before frosting them.