This dish can be used as a side, or as a standalone recipe. This is an easy recipe to prepare and has a delicious, rich and creamy texture. I served this as a side dish with roasted chicken breasts.
- 2 ounces mild cheddar cheese (Don't use Pre shredded cheese)
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch (divided)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅓ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces potatoes, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a small bowl mix together the shredded cheddar and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch. In another bowl mix together the other ½ teaspoon cornstarch and parmesan cheese.
- In a 10 inch oven proof skillet using the oil over medium heat, cook onion until lightly browned. Add the garlic and thyme; continue cooking until fragrant. Stir in the broth, cream, salt, pepper, and then add in the potatoes. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a high simmer and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Mix in the cheddar cheese and press the potatoes into an even layer. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top and bake uncovered in the oven until the cheese is golden brown.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from cooks country