This Chicken Grilled Chicken with Pico de Gallo is a great recipe for the final holiday of the summer. This Labor day fire up the grill and give this Chicken Grilled Chicken with Pico de Gallo Recipe a try. It’s a little bit of work, but well worth the effort. This recipe has a great combination of flavors incorporating the use of fresh garden tomatoes, and like most dishes that call for bacon, the bacon is a delicious added touch to the recipe.
Give this one a try; your Family and guests will love it.
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 4 slices of bacon (sliced into ½ inch pieces)
- 8 ounces Monterey jack cheese
- 1 large red onion
- Ingredients for Pico De Gallo
- 3 roma tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- red onion (minced- use left over from slicing)
- 2 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (stemmed, seeded and minced)
- 1 cup (about 1 handful of fresh cilantro chopped)
- juice from 1lime
- In a medium size bowl mix together the honey and Dijon mustard. Set ¼ cup of the mixture aside and pour the rest into a one gallon disposable food grad plastic bag.
- Using a mallet pound the chicken down to ½ inch in size. Salt and pepper the chicken and place in the bag with the honey mustard mixture. Marinade in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- While the chicken is marinating prepare the Pico in a medium size bowl by combining the tomatoes, red onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, and cilantro; salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the lime juice and set aside in the refrigerator until needed.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Reserve and set aside bacon grease. Allow the bacon to cool and then mix the bacon with the cheese in a medium size bowl and set aside.
- Clean and prepare the grill on high heat, lightly grease the grates, reduce the heat to low on one side of the grill (1 left 2 burners on high and turned 2 to low).
- Insert a tooth pick crosswise through the onion layers to hold the onion rings together while grilling. Using a pastry brush – brush the onions with the reserved bacon grease and place them on the lower temperature side of the grill.
- Place the chicken on the hot side of the grill and cook for about 5 minutes, or until chicken starts to char. Turn the chicken and baste with the reserved honey mustard sauce. Continue turning, and basting, until the sauce is used up and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
- Take the onion slices off the grill and transfer the chicken to the cool side of the grill. Remove the tooth pics from the onion slices, separate the rings, and place them on the grilled chicken breasts. Top with the cheese and bacon mixture; close the grill, and continue grilling until cheese is melted.
- Serve hot topped with Pico de Gallo.
Adapted from blogchef.net