Whenever I have to start rolling and folding things it takes me out of my comfort zone. Getting these old fingers to work is sometimes a challenge. Due to some inside pressure from the family I decided to make this Chicken Wet Burritos Recipe. This is a simple recipe, but there is quite a bit of prep time involved, especially if you don’t have left over chicken on hand. I think something like canned chicken would fit very well into the recipe instead of fresh cooked if you want to save some time.
Folding the burritos is pretty easy (I cheated-my son folded them for me) just be sure to warm them first, otherwise they have a tendency to crack.
If you like Mexican food, give this Chicken Wet Burritos Recipe a try, it’s really good; you and your family will love it. Enjoy
1 cup onions (chopped)
1 tablespoon oil
1 garlic clove (minced)
2 cups cooked chicken (shredded or diced)
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies (drained)
1 cup chicken broth
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
4 large flour tortillas
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 (18 ounce) jar home-style beef gravy
2 cups shredded Colby-jack cheese
Sliced black olives
Preheat oven to 375F
1. Cooked Chicken-left over, poached or baked. If cooking set aside to cool.
2. In a large skillet with the oil cook the onion and garlic till tender. Then add the chicken, tomato sauce, green chilies, and chicken broth. Cook until heated through.
3. In a medium sauce pan warm the refried bean.
4. In another medium sauce pan, combine enchilada sauce and home-style beef gravy- heat until almost boiling.
5. Assemble the burritos- on each tortilla layer 1/4 cup of refried beans and 1/4 of the chicken mixture. Fold the sides of the burrito in, then roll the other side’s until you have a package formed. Place seam side down in a 13×9 inch baking dish.
6. Pour 3/4 of the sauce mixture over the burritos in the baking dish and top with shredded Colby-jack cheese. Place in the oven and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the burritos are heated through.
7. Pour left over sauce over the burritos and top with sour cream, lettuce, sliced olives, and diced tomatoes.