I’m not a big lover of cornbread, but once in awhile for a change I do enjoy it. When I saw this Chili Beef Bake casserole Recipe I thought it looked pretty good, and I would give it a try. Everything is mixed together and the cornbread mixture borders the casserole. Hot sauce provides a little heat for the recipe, which was about right for me. If you want to turn the heat up a little bit, just add more hot sauce, or cayenne pepper to taste. I’ll have to admit this is not the best looking dish I have photographed however the recipe itself was good enough that I thought I should post it.
So if you’re in the mood for something different, give this Chili Beef Bake Casserole Recipe a try.
1 pound lean ground beef
4 tablespoons margarine (divided)
1 small onion (chopped-about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup sweet red pepper (chopped)
1 clove garlic (minced)
1/2 cup flour (divided)
4 teaspoons chili powder
1 can corn (4 ounces-about 1 cup drained)
1 can peas (4 ounces-about 1 cup drained)
1/2 cup tomato juice
1 egg (beaten)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
Preheat oven to 375F.
1. In a medium size skillet brown the ground beef, and drain if needed. Remove and set aside.
2. Using the same skillet melt 2 tablespoons of the margarine; add and cook the onion, garlic and red pepper until tender.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of flour, chili powder, and hot sauce and mix until well blended.
4. Add the ground beef, corn, peas and tomato juice and heat thoroughly.
5. Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish.
Directions for topping
1. Blend 2 tablespoons melted margarine with the egg. Add the remaining flour, cornmeal, paprika, baking powder and mix in the milk till thoroughly combined.
2. Spoon the mixture around the edges on top of the casserole.
3. Bake for 30 minutes uncovered or until cornmeal border is done and nicely browned.
This is a small recipe you may want to double it depending on the number you are serving.
Makes 4 servings