We all seemed to be in the mood for Asian food but we just did not have the time to go the distance to the nearest Chinese Buffet; so we decided to do the next best thing and cook our own. Really I think you could argue the point that the homemade is better, at least you know what’s going in it.
This Chinese Beef Recipe is not a lot different than many stir fry recipes. It is just cooked a little different. I thought the addition of fresh tomatoes was a nice addition because I usually don’t see them in this type of dish.
The next time you’re in the mood for Asian food, put this homemade Chinese Beef Recipe on the menu; it’s really good.
- 2 pounds flank or sirloin steak
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 large green peppers (sliced into 1 inch strips)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 medium tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 can bean sprouts (16 ounces-drained)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cooked rice
- Prepare garlic, mushrooms, green peppers, and tomatoes, and set aside.
- Slice the meat into thin strips cutting across the grain.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, using the olive oil, brown the beef with the garlic, salt, pepper and ginger. (Cook until thoroughly browned)
- Add the soy sauce and sugar. Cook over medium heat-covered for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, green peppers, mushrooms, and bean sprouts. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook covered for an addition al 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are cooked to your desired doneness.
- While vegetables are cooking mix together the water and cornstarch. When the meat mixture is done stir in the cornstarch mixture, bring to a boil, and cook until thickened.
- Serve over hot rice.