We were all in the mood for Chinese food, but because of the distance involved to travel to a Chinese restaurant, eat out were out of the question. So decided on homemade which in my opinion is better anyway; at least I know what’s in it.
This is a simple recipe that is mildly seasoned, doesn’t require a lot of prep- time, and cooks fairly quickly. The recipe calls for 1 cup of cooked rice, I didn’t feel that was enough rice, so I prepared one cup of uncooked rice to go with the stir fry mixture. Pack the rice into a 1 cup mold or bowl to form a mound of rice to serve with the vegetable mixture, or just mix the rice into the sauce.
Give this Chinese Chicken and Vegetables with Rice Recipe a try; it’s really good.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into strips or bite size pieces – I used chicken tender strips)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 1 green pepper (sliced lengthwise)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts (5 ounces)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (10.5 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 can bean sprouts (14. 5 ounces – drained)
- 1 package frozen peas (10 ounces)
- 1 package Chinese noodles (optional)
- In a large skillet over medium heat using the butter cook chicken until meat turns white and chicken is almost done. Mix in the onion, green pepper, celery, chicken soup, and then mix in the ginger, and salt. Cook covered over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- in a small cup mix together the soy sauce and cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved. Add the peas and bean sprouts into the chicken mixture, mix in the soy sauce, bring mixture to a boil, cover and continue cooking until heated through. (About 3 minutes – don’t overcook vegetables should be crisp tender.)
- Serve with rice garnished with Chinese noodles