Cheesy, fried, mashed or baked, potatoes always seem to make a great side dish. Going though online recipes I ran into a Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe that looked really good. I made some small changes to the recipe and served it with Barbequed Baby Back ribs; it was creamy and delicious. This one is going on my favorites list because it is so simple to prepare and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients. There is a good chance you have all the ingredients on hand you need to prepare this Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe. The next time you need a good side dish give this Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe a try. Enjoy
4-5 medium potatoes (thinly sliced)
1 onion (finely chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter (or cooking spray) a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
2. Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the chopped onion, and add the remaining potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted.
4. Pour cheese over the potatoes.
4. Bake covered 1 1/2 hours or until potatoes are tender.
Serve Hot (serves 4)