6. 3 tablespoons cornstarch
7. 1 1/4 cups water
8. 3 cups tart apples, peeled and sliced (I use Granny Smith)
9. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine flour, brown sugar, butter/margarine and oats; set aside 1 cup for the topping.
2. Press remaining crumb mixture into an 9 inch pie plate; set aside.
3. For the pie filling: combine sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan until smooth, bring to a boil.
4. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
5. Remove from heat and stir in apples and vanilla.
6. Pour filling mixture into crust and top with the 1 cup crumb mixture.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.