It has been awhile since I prepared a breakfast dinner for supper. I had some homemade breakfast sausage in the freezer and decided to use it up. For some reason I have never prepared an egg and sausage type casserole-if have had Egg and Sausage Casserole at get togethers, and thought it was pretty good. When I came across this recipe I thought I would give it a try. Outside of the seasoning that is incorporated into the breakfast sausage there is no additional seasoning added, which leaves a lot of room to adjust the seasoning to your taste. Some good additions could be mushrooms or sweet peppers and maybe some cayenne or red pepper flakes if you want to turn up the heat a little bit. I prepared this recipe as written and it was very good. Enjoy
1 pound sage flavored breakfast sausage
3 cups shredded potatoes (drained and press)
1/4 cup butter (melted)
12 ounces mild shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup onion (finely diced)
1 (16 ounce) container small curd cottage cheese
6 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and lightly grease a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
2. Brown sausage in a skillet over medium heat.
3. In a bowl mix together the melted butter and shredded potatoes, then line them in the bottom and on the sides of the casserole dish.
4. In a bowl mix the sausage, Cheddar cheese, onion, cottage cheese, and eggs. Pour over the potato mixture.
5. Bake 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into center of the casserole comes out clean.
Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.