If you’re looking for a really good ground steak recipe, give this French Onion Salisbury Steaks on Italian Baguette Recipe a try; it’s delicious. This is a simple recipe to put together and doesn’t require much prep or cooking time. These French Onion Steaks are served over baguette cheese toast with a delicious sauce served over the top. I have included the recipe for the homemade cheese toast, but you could use store bought if you wish to do so.
1 pound ground sirloin (or another type of lean ground beef)
1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
2 tablespoons of scallions (thinly sliced)
1 3/4 teaspoons salt (divided)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons +1 teaspoon flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion (sliced)
1 tablespoon sugar
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup red wine
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1. In a large bowl using your hands combine ground sirloin, parsley, scallions, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper; divide and form into 4 patties, about 1 inch thick, and set aside. Place 2 tablespoons of flour into a shallow dish large enough for the patties. Coat each patty with the flour.
2. Place the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook patties on both sides until nicely browned- remove from the skillet and set aside.
3. Using the same skillet add the onions sprinkled with the sugar, and saute until they start to brown. Stir in the tomato paste and garlic – continue cooking until paste starts to darken, and then mix in the remaining teaspoon of flour; cook one minute, and then mix in the wine, beef broth, 3/4 teaspoon salt and thyme.
4. Return patties to the skillet, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium low and cook covered to desired doneness.
While patties are cooking prepare cheese bread according to directions below.
Cheese Toast Ingredients
4 slices Italian baguette bread (cut diagonally)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan
Preheat oven to 400F.
1. In a small bowl combine the butter, paprika and garlic; spread the mixture over one side of each bread slice.
2. Place the bread on a baking sheet-combine the cheeses together and sprinkle the cheese over each slice of bread. Bake until cheese is melted and bread starts to brown.
To Serve – place burgers on the toast/ with onions and sauce poured over the top.