1. 1 medium sugar pumpkin
2. 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3. 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
4. 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
5. 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6. 1 teaspoon salt
7. 4 eggs, lightly beaten
8. 1 cup honey, warmed slightly
9. 1 cup half and half
1. Cut pumpkin in half, and remove seeds.
2. Place cut side down in a shallow baking pan and add about a ½ inch of water to the bottom.
3. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) until the flesh is tender, when poked with a fork.
4. Cool until just warm. Scrape the pumpkin flesh from the peeling. Either mash, or puree in small batches in a blender. ( be sure to do this step while the pumpkin is warm-if you let it get cold it will be much harder)
5. In large bowl, blend together 2 cups pumpkin puree, spices, and salt.
6. Beat in eggs, honey, milk, and cream. Pour filling into pie shell.
Bake at 400 degrees F ( 205 degrees C) for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted 1 inch from edge of pie comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Pumpkin freezes very well. Just freeze the extra puree in a freezer container for later use.