I think these Grilled Jucy Lucy Burgers are one of the juiciest burgers I have ever prepared on the grill. This is a simple recipe that requires you to work with your hands a little bit to form the chunks of cheese inside the burger before grilling. This recipe is adapted from Cooks Country so I have to give them credit for the way they formed the cheese into the burger; I was a little skeptical but the method they used in this recipe worked very well. I made a few changes to the recipe, and it was delicious.
If you plan on firing up the grill for Labor Day give this Grilled Jucy Lucy Burgers Recipe a try, you and your guests will love them. Enjoy
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- 2 slices white bread (put through blender to form fresh bread crumbs)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper to taste
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 thick slice of White American Cheese-divided into 4 pieces (about ½ inch thick-I had the Deli slice it. it turned out to be 1 inch instead but that thickness still worked fine.)
- in a large bowl using your hands mix together the burger, salt, pepper, garlic powder and fresh bread crumbs. Divide the burger into 4 equal portions.
- Divide these portions into two and form a ball, like you are making a large meatball. Flatten one portion down while inserting a chunk of the American cheese into it forming a mini patty. Encase the mini burger with the other have of the burger; seal the edges and flatten. You will have a ¾ to 1 inch patty. Repeat the process until all 4 burgers are completed; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- I did not try it but the original recipe says they can be made and refrigerated up to 24 hours in advance.
- Preheat grill on high and lightly oil grill grates. Reduce the heat to medium and grill the burgers covered until dark brown on one side - this should take about 8 minutes. Flip the burgers and continue grilling for another 8 minutes or until done. Just before the burgers are finished cooking place the buns on the grill sliced side down to lightly toast them.
- Serve with your choice of condiments