I don’t prepare a lot of pizza recipes but there seems to be quite a buzz about grilled pizzas so I decided to give it a try. I cheated a little bit and used refrigerate pizza dough, but I am sure if you used your favorite pizza dough recipe, it would work out fine. I used a gas grill to do this pizza and the heat seemed to distribute itself very well to brown the pizza crust. The process of cooking the crust was a lot easier than I had pictured it to be. I used smoked sausage for this recipe, but you could also use fresh, it would just take a little longer to grill it. Outside of grilling the crust preparing grilled pizza is not a lot different than preparing a traditional pizza.
The next time you’re in the mood to fire up the grill, give Grilled Pizza a try. Enjoy
- 1 pizza crust (for a 12 inch pizza)
- 1 pound smoked Polish sausage
- 1 large orange or red pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup fresh Basil (roughly chopped)
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat and oil grill grates on medium high heat.
- Grill polish sausage until the casing starts to break. (Should have a little bit of a char) Let cool and slice sausage diagonally into ½ inch pieces.
- While the sausage is cooking roll out a piece of aluminum foil to a size of 12 x 14 inches. Spray the aluminum foil on one side with cooking spray. Place the crust in the center of the foil and push it out to the edges of the foil to form a rectangular crust; spray the top of the dough with cooking spray.
- Lower the grill heat to medium low and place the crust on the grill dough side down and gently peel off the aluminum foil. (save the foil) Grill uncovered until crust is golden brown. (Watch the crust closely this only takes a few minutes.) Using a large spatula flip the crust and cook just until the crust firms up – slide the crust back onto the piece of aluminum foil browned side up.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the crust, sprinkle on the basil, and 1¾ cups of cheese. Then distribute the sausage and pepper evenly over the top.
- Top with the remaining cheese; slide the pizza off the aluminum foil back onto the grill, and grill covered until crust is brown and cheese is melted.