May cherry tree is loaded with beautiful red cherries and to my surprise the Blue Jays haven’t touched them. So the game is on in an attempt to beat the birds to the cherries.
The first thing I did was put 9 pounds in the freezer to use for homemade cherry wine, which I like to use in a lot of my recipes. Then I thought with all these cherries I just have to prepare a Cherry Pie with fresh cherries. You will need about 2 1/ 2 pounds of fresh cherries which should equal 4-5 cups pitted. I pit my cherries by hand and it seems to go pretty fast but there are a lot of cherry pitters available to purchase if you would rather do that. Cherries are like apples, when you break them, it doesn’t take long for them to oxidize and start to turn brown so you want to be ready to use them right away or sprinkle them with some Fruit-Fresh to stop them from browning.
This Fresh Cherry Pie recipe is a little different because it uses Tapioca for thickening in place of the traditional cornstarch which seems to preserve the taste of the cherries giving the pie a fresh cherry taste and nice texture. If you have fresh pie cherries available give this Fresh Cherry Pie Recipe a try; it’s really good.
- Your favorite double pie crust recipe-or store bought crust
- 4 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 cups pitted cherries (about 21/ 2 pound before pitted)
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Pit cherries to equal 4-5 cups
- In a large bowl mix together the cherries, tapioca, sugar, almond extract, salt, and vanilla. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Place the bottom crust into a 9 inch pie plate, lightly sprayed with cooking spray, and pour in the cherry mixture. Dot with shaved slices of butter; cover with the top crust fluting the edges to seal the pie. Cut several slits in the top for venting. Bake for 40-50 minutes until pie is golden brown.
- Tip-I like to cover the outer edges with aluminum foil to keep the edges from browning too quickly-if you do this remove the foil just before the pie is done.
- Cool and serve