It’s always great to have a good side dish siting in the recipe file, so if you need a recipe to go with those spur of the moment dinner decisions, there is one available without doing a lot of searching. This Pasta Shells and Cheese Recipe is much like macaroni and cheese except the texture is a little different because of the pasta shells. This is a simple recipe that does not require much prep or cooking time. This side dish can easily be prepared while the main dish is cooking. I prepared this recipe as written and the results were a creamy, and cheesy, Pasta Shells dish with excellent flavor.
The next time you’re in the mood for mac and cheese, or you are looking for a good side dish, give this Pasta Shells and Cheese Recipe a try. Enjoy
- 8 ounces small pasta shells
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced green onions for garnish (optional)
- Cook Pasta Shells according to package directions.
- While the shells are cooking melt the butter in a medium sauce pan on medium heat. Mix in the flour then add the salt and pepper and gradually stir in the milk. Continue cooking stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Then mix in the cheese-stirring until melted.
- Drain and rinse the pasta shells, then mix them together with the cheese sauce.
- Garnish with green onion slices if desired.