This Shepherd’s Pie for Two is a delicious one dish recipe, and just the right amount for two people. It does require a little time to put it all together but it is well worth the effort.
I used frozen peas and carrots in this recipe and cooked them from the frozen state and it worked out real well.
- 1 pound potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large garlic clove (minced)
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Place potatoes in a medium sauce pan covered with water and 1 tablespoon of salt. Cook until tender; drain. Add the half and half and 4 tablespoons of butter to the potatoes and mash until smooth. Cover and set aside.
- Using the remaining tablespoon of butter in a 10 inch skillet cook the onion, peas, and carrots, until softened. Add the ground beef, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper and cook breaking burger up until burger is no longer pink inside.
- Stir in the tomato paste, garlic, and thyme; cook until fragrant (about 1 minute) stir in the flour and cook for 1 more minute. Mix in the broth, wine, and soy sauce and cook until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Spoon dollops of mashed potatoes over the top and spread it out in a layer over the filling. Drag fork tines over the top to create the ridges.
- Place oven on broil and move skillet to the oven, about 5 inches from the element, broil until potato topping is golden brown.
Adapted from Cooks Country