We were having one of those days that no one could figure out what to have for supper. After careful thought and a lot of undecidedness we settled on this Simple Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe. There is not a lot of prep time and it is a very easy recipe. I am not a vegetarian by any means, so I decided to cook up some Brats along with the macaroni and cheese. It’s just a habit I guess, but I do like to have some kind of meat or fish with dinner. If you like macaroni and cheese give this recipe a try; it’s delicious. Enjoy
1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
Black pepper, to taste
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup breadcrumbs, buttered
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cook macaroni till tender
3. In a large saucepan melt the butter, add the flour, salt and pepper and mix till well blended. It will take on a paste consistency.
4. Gradually pour in the milk and cream, bring to a boil; cook on medium heat stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. This takes about 2 minutes
5. Reduce the heat, and add the 2 cups of cheddar cheese to the milk and cream mixture, mix until cheese is melted and well blended.
6. Mix the cheese sauce with the macaroni and place in a greased casserole dish. Top with the breadcrumbs; bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until crumbs are golden brown.