This simple spaghetti sauce recipe is bursting with flavor; because of the cooking time the flavors blend in perfectly.
The secret to this recipe is the cooking time – allow about 90 minutes for the sauce to cook down and the flavors to blend.
The mushrooms are optional. Personally I love them. I hope you enjoy.
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt (, or to taste)
- ground pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced and sautéed in butter (optional)
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated (optional)
- Brown the ground beef, onion and garlic in olive oil with the bay leaves.
- Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes into the browned burger.
- Mix in the rest of the seasonings and simmer over medium heat for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Sautee the mushrooms separately in butter.
- Serve the sauce on top of cooked spaghetti. Top with sautéed mushrooms and Parmesan cheese.