I had to dig way back into my recipe file to find this Simple Pizza Casserole Recipe. This recipe was popular with my kids when they were young. Actually we all really enjoyed it, but for some reason it kind of fell to the wayside. This is a simple recipe and very basic I’m sure if you wanted to add some additional ingredients like, mushrooms, and green peppers or pretty much any type of topping you would like on a pizza. Because there is Italian sausage used in this recipe the flavor will change with the brand of Italian sausage you are using.
The next time you’re in the mood for pizza, but don’t feel like having to deal with the crust, give this Simple Pizza Casserole Recipe a try. Enjoy
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound Italian Sausage
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large cans pizza sauce (15 ounce cans)
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 7 ounces of elbow macaroni
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- While macaroni is cooking in a large skillet brown the burger, sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink inside. Drain if needed.
- Then mix in the pizza sauce and seasonings. Drain the macaroni and add it to the meat mixture along with the milk and egg.
- Spoon the mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish, top with the shredded cheese, and bake covered for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.