The cookie jar was empty and I wanted some cookies to go with my coffee; but I wanted to hold the amount of sugar down a little bit so I decided on this Simple Spice Cookies Recipe. This recipe uses a granulated no calorie sweetener which I have used in the past and it is a very good sugar substitute. If you don’t like using sugar substitutes; I am sure sugar would also work very well. This is a simple recipe with very little prep or baking time-you can have cookies on the table in less than a half an hour. The number of cookies this recipe produces will depend on the size of the cookie dough balls you make to create the cookies. I wound up with 16, but the recipe says it should make 30.
If you find your cookie jar getting empty, give yourself a treat, and bake up a batch of these Spice Cookies; they’re really good.
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup granulated no calorie sweetener (or sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1/ 4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 3/ 4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/ 2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, mix together the shortening, egg, molasses and sweetener. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour and spices together. then mix the flour mixture into the shortening mix to form cookie dough.
- Using about a heaping tablespoon at a time form the dough into balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with a fork and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are done.
- Cool on a cooling rack
- Makes 15 to 30 depending on the size cookies you make.