When I first saw this recipe I wasn’t sure how well chicken thighs and shrimp would blend together but it worked pretty well. Because of using dark meat the chicken remained nice and moist. I unusually don’t like cooking pasta in the slow cooker; I’d rather do it separately; because it was Orzo I thought that it might work out ok, and it did. If you have a busy day coming up you can get this on in the morning and finish it off in the evening when you get home. Combing the chicken and shrimp is a little different but I thought it was really good.
The next time you plan on using your slow cooker give this Slow Cooker Chicken and Shrimp Recipe a try. Enjoy
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into bite size pieces)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (for browning chicken)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 2 celery ribs (chopped)
- 1 medium green pepper (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 medium onion (coarsely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- In a large skillet brown the chicken pieces using the oil.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker and mix in the rest of the ingredients except for the shrimp and pasta.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or until chicken is tender. Add the pasta and turn the slow cooker on high; cook for about 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Mix in the shrimp and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until shrimp is heated through.
- Serve Hot