This Slow Cooker Smothered Chicken with Bacon and Onions is one of my favorites. It is cooked in the slow cooker so the chicken is fork tender and the sauce is rich and creamy; loader with bacon and cream cheese.
You and your family will love this one.
- 8 slices of bacon cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 medium onions (sliced)
- ⅓ cup all- purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (skin and fat removed)
- 4 cups egg noodles (uncooked)
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large skillet cook bacon until crispy. Remove bacon to a plate covered with toweling to drain; drain the skillet reserving about 2 tablespoons of fat in the skillet. Place the onions in the skillet and cook until onions are soft and start to brown. Whisk in the flour and pepper, mix in ½ the bacon and the broth and cook until mixture thickens.
- Arrange chicken thighs in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour the onion mixture over the top. Cook on low for 4 – 5 hours or 3 – 4 on high.
- Mix together the cream cheese, garlic powder, and milk until well blended.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions; drain and spread the noodles on a serving platter. Arrange chicken thighs on top of the noodles and lightly cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Mix the cream cheese mixture into the onion mixture in the slow cooker, stir until well combined and heated through.
- Pour cream cheese sauce over the chicken and noodles and then sprinkle with the remaining bacon.
Adapted from Kraft.com