If you like sausage and sauerkraut you have to give this Smoked Polish Sausage Casserole Recipe a try. This recipe came out a lot different than I expected it to be. The cream of mushroom soup definitely changes the flavor of the overall dish with the sweetness of the Swiss cheese mellowing out the sauerkraut. This is a simple recipe with most of the prep time being taken up by having to precook the pasta.
The next time you’re in the mood for a change give this glorified version of Smoked Polish Sausage Casserole a try. Enjoy
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound smoked polish sausage (cut into ½ inch pieces)
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can or jar sauerkraut (14 ounces rinsed and well drained)
- 1½ cups shredded Swiss cheese
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl mix together the pasta, soup, sausage, green onions, garlic, milk, mustard, sauerkraut, and 1 cup of cheese.
- Place the mixture in a 2 quart casserole dish lightly sprayed with cooking spray and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 50 minutes or until bubbly. Serve hot.