1. Quarter the potatoes and put into a large pot of salted water.
2. Add the 8 cloves of peeled garlic.
3. Boil until tender.
4. Drain and add the sour cream, butter and cream cheese to the pot and mash with a potato masher, for best texture do not use a mixer.
5. Spread mixture into an oven proof casserole dish 9X13.
6. Bake uncovered in a 325 degree oven for 15 minutes or until the top has browned to your satisfaction.
7. For faster results, skip baking and place under broiler for a few minutes.
Garnish with chives if desired.