We were all in the mood for Mexican style food so I decided to give this Southwestern Beef Casserole Recipe a try. This is a simple recipe that doesn’t require a lot of prep time, but it does take about an hour in the oven. I’ve tried recipes that have called for cooking the rice, in the raw state, in the oven, and for some reason they never turned out very well, because the rice never seemed to cook properly. This recipe turned out to be a pleasant surprise – the rice was tender and moist creating a good one dish meal.
The next time you plan on putting Mexican food on the dinner menu, give this one a try; it’s really good.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¾ cup long grain white rice
- 1 can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with green chilies (10 ounce)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 1 can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup frozen corn (thawed)
- 1½ cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 3 scallions (sliced for garnish)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook the rice in a skillet using the oil until golden brown. pour the rice into the bottom of a coverable 3 quart casserole dish and then mix in the diced tomatoes; season with a ½ teaspoon of salt and a ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- Wipe the empty skillet clean and cook the burger along with the green pepper and onion until burger is no longer pink inside. Drain if needed. Season the meat mixture by stirring in ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, Chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and coriander. Cook for about 30 seconds and then stir in the tomato sauce – continue cooking until mixture is heated through.
- To prepare the casserole layer the meat mixture over the top of the rice, followed by a layer of the beans, and then a layer of cheese. Sprinkle the corn on top. Bake covered for 60 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Serve garnished with scallions
Adapted from Cooks Country Magazine