Your dog will love these homemade bacon dog treats. This is a simple recipe that doesn’t require a lot of ingredients, is quick to put together, and doesn’t require a lot of baking time.
Just ask my dog hunter who thought he could get to them before they made it to the cookie jar.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup quick oats
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook bacon until crisp, crumble, and reserve the bacon fat.
- Using an electric mixed fitted with paddle attachment mix together the eggs, pumpkin, and bacon fat until well combined. On low speed mix in the oats a little at a time until well combined. Gradually add 2 ½ cups flour and continue mixing until just incorporated. Add additional flour a little at a time until dough is no longer sticky; add the bacon and continue mixing until bacon is folded in.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and need by hand to form a ball of dough; roll out to about ¼ thickness, and cut dog treats with a cookie cutter.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until edges start to brown.
- Let cool and store in zip lock bag; use as needed.
- I don't know if its necessary but I refrigerate these.