If you looking for a really good dish for a graduation party or pot luck supper give this Creamy Penne Primavera with Ham a recipe a try. It has a really good combination of cheeses, is quick to prepare, and the dish is large enough to serve to a crowd. This recipe uses fresh broccoli and carrots, but I am sure you could substitute with frozen if you need to. This is a mildly seasoned recipe so you might want to salt and pepper the sauce to taste before mixing it into the penne.
Give this one a try – enjoy
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 carrots (peeled and diced)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans chicken broth (14.5 ounces each)
- 1 ½ cups Italian cheese blend
- 4 ounces cream cheese (cut into cubes)
- ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 package deli ham (7 – 8 ounces chopped)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cook pasta according to package direction for AL dente. 2 minutes before the pasta is done add the broccoli and carrots. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet or saute pan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk in the flour and mix until smooth. Gradually add the broth stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a boil, and cook until thickened. Add the cream cheese, shredded Italian, and ¼ cup Parmesan. Stir and cook until cheese is melted. Stir the cheese sauce and ham into the penne and vegetable mixture.
- Pour the penne mixture into a 13 x 9 casserole dish lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top and bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Serve hot.
Adapted from Kraft