There are a number of versions of this recipe. After looking at a number of them I decided on this recipe from Cook’s Country. I definitely would not put this recipe in a list for health alternatives, but the butter in this recipe turns this dish into a delicious burger recipe.
I have ordered butter burgers in a number of restaurants, and this recipe tastes pretty close to what I have ordered, if you like butter burgers give this one a try; there really good and simple to prepare at home.
- 9 tablespoons of butter
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I used ground chuck)
- 4 burger buns
- ½ teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices American cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Place buns on a cookie sheet cut side up. Toast them under the oven broiler; remove and set aside. (Watch closely because they brown fast)
- Divide burger into 4 equal portions; form into 4 patties about ½ inches thick. Generously season patties with salt and pepper, place on a platter, and refrigerate for up to 30 minutes.
- Place 1 tablespoon of butter, water, and onions in a small skillet over medium heat, season with ¼ teaspoon of salt and cook covered until onions are translucent. Remove lid and continue cooking until onion is tender and starts to brown; cover and reduce heat to warm.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of butter over the top cut side of each bun.
- Place cooking oil into a large skillet over high heat. When skillet starts to smoke, place burgers in skillet, cook burgers without turning for 3 minutes, turn burgers and continue cooking for 1 more minute, top with cheese and continue cooking until cheese is melted.
- Divide onion into 4 equal portions – place burger on bun, onion, and top with the buttered top half of the bun.
- Serve Hot