If you’re looking for a great side dish, or a stand-alone one-dish meal this Bacon Mac and Cheese recipe will provide it, and it’s really good. This is a very simple recipe, but does take a little more time than the customary Mac and Cheese, because of the time needed to cook the bacon. All the flavors blend very well with the bacon giving this dish a unique bacon flavor.
I you like Mac and Cheese; but haven’t tried Bacon Mac and Cheese, give this recipe a try it’s really good. Enjoy
- ½ pound sliced bacon (sliced into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 package elbow macaroni (8 ounces)
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter (divided)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 package sharp shredded cheddar (8 ounces)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, and drain. While the macaroni is cooking fry the bacon pieces until crisp. Place the bacon on paper towing to drain any excess fat.
- In a medium size sauce pan melt ¼ cup of the butter over medium heat; then whisk in the flour, onion salt, and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk and cook until mixture is smooth and starts to thicken. Add the cheese; cook and stir until melted.
- Mix the cheese sauce into the macaroni and fold in the bacon. Place in a 1½ quart casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray. Melt the rest of the butter, mix it with the bread crumbs and sprinkle it evenly over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, and mac and cheese heated through.
- Serve Hot