Grilled Soy-Ginger Glazed Bone-In Chicken Breasts
- 4 bone-in split chicken breasts
- A ½ cup of salt
- black pepper
- 2 quarts cold water plus 1/3 cup water
- A ¼ cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (grated)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoon corn starch
- 2 green onions (minced)
- In a large bowl dissolve salt in 2 quarts of water – place chicken in the bowl, refrigerate, and let brine for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Pat chicken dry with paper toweling and season with pepper.
- While chicken is in brine, in a small saucepan mix together 1/3 cup water, soy sauce, mirin, ginger, garlic, sugar, and cornstarch. Bring sauce to a boil over medium heat, reduce to simmer, and cook until sauce thickens, stir in green onions; set aside.
- Preheat and prepare grill on high heat.
- Place chicken skin side down on the grill, and grill until browned, flip chicken and continue grilling until the bone side is browned. Reduce heat to medium, and grill covered until chicken is 150F.
- Brush the soy-ginger sauce over the chicken, flipping frequently to glaze both sides. (you can use all the glaze, which I did, or you can save some for a dipping sauce)
- Grill until an instant-read thermometer reads 160F. Place chicken on a serving platter, tent lightly with aluminum foil, and let rest 5 – 10 minutes before serving.