Pepto Bismol nutrition facts are straightforward: low-calorie, low-carb, low-fat, and low-protein. A single dose is suitable for children over two years and under 24 pounds. As a result, it’s ideal for both adults and children to use it on an as-needed basis. The only major drawback to this medication is its relatively high sugar content, which is in the bottom 20 percent of food groups. Nonetheless, these benefits are worth considering, as it’s not recommended for infants under two years of age.
Pepto-Bismol Nutrition Facts
What Is Pepto-Bismol?
Pepto-Bismol’s new, improved formula coats the stomach and provides fast relief for various stomach troubles. It’s perfect for travelers because it eases diarrhea, upset stomach due to overindulgence, and nausea. It’s also an excellent choice for people with indigestion or heartburn. And it’s only available at pharmacies.
Its ingredients are safe to consume in moderation and are low-calorie, too. The main ingredient in Pepto-Bismol is bismuth subsalicylate, which provides fast relief from many stomach ailments. This medicine helps treat indigestion and heartburn and is only available at pharmacies.
You should avoid using it if you have Reye’s syndrome or a fever. The drug’s side effects should be reported to your doctor right away. A few more Pepto Bismol nutrition facts will help you decide whether this is the best option for your particular case.
It is available as a liquid or tablet and is suitable for adults and children 12 years of age and older. Regardless of the product type, consult a healthcare professional before using it. You should never take more than what’s recommended and consult a physician if you have any questions.
Pepto Bismol Liquid
- Pepto Bismol provides fast and effective relief from nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, and diarrhea
- Recommended Brand for Upset Stomachs (Based on Pharmacy Times 2020 Survey – upset stomach remedies category)
- Pepto Bismol’s coating action calms your stomach and soothes your digestive tract to relieve nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, and diarrhea.
- As a part of the P&G family, Pepto Bismol has high-quality standards for all our products.
- Pepto Bismol has been a trusted brand for treating upset stomachs for over 100 years.
Essential Facts About Pepto Bismol
Here are some essential facts that should be remembered:
- Pepto Bismol is available in different flavors, and the cherry flavor is designed for adults and children. It’s important to note that the cherry-flavored Pepto Bismol does not contain as much as the cherry-flavored Pepto-Bismol Original.
- For those who prefer the sweet taste of the tablet, it should not be consumed. In addition, there are other products containing Pepto-Bismol that are available for children under 12.
- Pepto Bismol contains the antacid Bismuth subsalicylate, an essential medicine component. Pepto can relieve diarrhea in both children and adults when taken in the right amount.
- The primary ingredient of Pepto-Bismol is bismuth subsalicylate. The drug is used to relieve occasional symptoms of indigestion and heartburn.
- It is available in both liquid and tablet forms. However, Pepto-Bismol can cause some side effects. While it’s not harmful, it can interact with other medications.
- It could make a condition worse. You should consult a healthcare provider if you suspect your child is experiencing an allergic reaction to this medication.
- It’s safe to use Pepto-Bismol in children and adults over 12 years old. It’s not recommended for children under 12. Even if you’ve used Pepto for years, you should talk to your doctor before giving your child this medicine. Be sure not to take more than the recommended dose. It can cause liver damage. It’s essential to check the ingredients of Pepto-Bismol.
How Does Pepto Bismol Help Treat Diarrhea?
The exact mechanism by which this medicine cures diarrhea and accompanying symptoms is unknown. However, it appears to have several digestive consequences. For starters, it’s supposed to boost electrolyte transport and water absorption in the intestines. Diarrhea is made more difficult by both of these acts.
Salicylate is converted to salicylic acid inside the body. Aspirin contains the same active component. Salicylic acid inhibits the synthesis of prostaglandins, which are similar to hormones. Increased gut inflammation and movement are linked to prostaglandins. Second, it appears to neutralize stomach acid, which causes heartburn, nausea, and indigestion.
Finally, bismuth subsalicylate has modest antibacterial capabilities that may aid in the targeting of microorganisms that cause diarrhea. Research trusted sources have demonstrated that it prevents the release of toxins produced by E. coli bacteria.
Are There Side Effects Of Pepto-Bismol?
Constipation is another possible adverse effect of Pepto Bismol, in addition to dark-colored feces and a black tongue. If you develop symptoms, stop taking Pepto Bismol and seek medical attention.
- Nausea and vomiting
- Ringing in your ears or hearing loss
- Diarrhea that lasts longer than two days
- Stomach symptoms that get worse
Pepto Bismol isn’t meant to be taken for an extended period. If you need to use it more than three times each month, make an appointment with your doctor.
Most adults and children aged 12 and up can take Pepto Bismol. If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have any of the following medical conditions, consult your doctor before using Pepto Bismol:
- An allergy to salicylate or any other medication
- A fever or flu-like symptoms
- A stomach ulcer
- A bleeding condition, such as hemophilia
- Mucus in your stool
- Black or bloody stools not caused by Pepto Bismol
- Kidney disease
Pepto Bismol can also interact with other prescription and over-the-counter drugs, such as:
- Tetracycline antibiotics
- Blood thinners
- Aspirin or other salicylate-based painkillers or medications
- Medication for diabetes
- Medication for gout
- Medication for arthritis
Check with your doctor or pharmacist to ensure Pepto Bismol won’t interact with any other medications you’re taking.
Pepto-Bismol is a mild antacid containing Bismuth subsalicylate. It can help prevent and relieve upset stomachs. Its ingredients are both practical and safe for children. Pepto-Bismol can effectively prevent and treat some digestive conditions compared to other antacids.
Therefore, it’s essential to discuss these details with your physician before taking Pepto Bismol for children. If you have a stomachache, you can take Pepto Bismol for quick relief. This medication is an excellent choice for those with diarrhea or indigestion.
It’s easy to use and offers fast relief. Its newer formulation can be swallowed whole with water. Nevertheless, it’s essential to consult your doctor before using it on children. If you’ve had a heavy meal, you should drink plenty of water.