Directions for bread crumbs
- Melt the butter in the oven at 350F, in a 9-inch pie dish. When the butter is melted mix in the salt and bread crumbs. Bake until crumbs are golden brown; set aside.
Directions for Macaroni and Cheese
- Cook macaroni in 2 quarts of water with 1 ½ teaspoon of salt. Cook to al dente, drain. Return macaroni to the same pan over low heat. Add the butter and toss until the butter is melted.
- While the macaroni is cooking in a medium-size bowl lightly whisk the eggs, and then mix in the hot sauce, 1 cup of evaporated milk, mustard, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Mix the egg mixture into the macaroni along with 2 cups of the cheese. Stir and cook until cheese starts to melt. Add the rest of the cheese and milk. Continue cooking until cheese is melted, and the mixture is heated through and starts to bubble, stirring constantly.
- Serve hot sprinkled with bread crumbs over the top.