I was planning on serving mashed potatoes with dinner but was in search for a recipe that was a little different. This Baked Mashed Potatoes Recipe seemed to fit into the dinner menu very well. This mashed potato recipe is a little more work but it is worth the additional effort. This is a simple recipe but takes a little more time because you have to precook the potatoes and mash them before they go into the oven which requires an additional 20 minutes of cooking time. I followed the recipe as written and the end result was a nice cheesy, creamy mashed potato dish; topped with gray it was delicious.
If you’re in the mood for a change from regular mashed potatoes give this Baked Mashed Potatoes Recipe a try. Enjoy
- 2 pound potatoes (peeled, diced and cubed)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese (divided)
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cook potatoes in a large pot with salted water until tender; drain.
- In the same pot add the butter and let stand until melted. Mash the potatoes using a potato masher or electric mixer, then mix in the milk. Stir in the mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup of the Parmesan; salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and spoon in the mashed potatoes.
- Mix together the remaining Parmesan cheese with the bread crumbs and sprinkle over the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes uncovered, or until breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Serve Hot