Chinese Pork Chow Mein Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs lean pork, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce (divided, more is desired)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 3/4 cups water, divided
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon molasses (do NOT omit)
- 1 (8 ounces) can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 lb bean sprouts (or more)
- 1 (4 ounces) can mushroom, drained
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch green onion (optional)
- blanched almonds, lightly toasted
- Cut meat into thin strips.
- Combine 2 tbsp cornstarch with sugar, blend in 1 tbsp soy sauce and 2 tbsp oil; mix to blend.
- Pour over pork strips; toss well to coat, marinate in the mixture for 20 minutes.
- In a wok or large sauté pan heat 2 tablespoons shortening; brown the meat lightly on all sides in hot shortening, add in the chopped garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining 4 tbsp soy sauce and 1-1/2 cups water; simmer, covered on low heat for 45 minutes.
- Add in the celery and onions; simmer for 15 minutes more.
- In a small bowl, blend in remaining cornstarch with 1/4 cup water; stir into meat mixture.
- Add molasses, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, and mushrooms and heat thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and toasted almonds
- Chow Mein Noodles.