Crispy Fish Sticks with Tartar Sauce Recipe
- 1–2 pounds of Tilapia fillets (or other “white-fleshed fish” of your choice)
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs (4 slices of fresh bread processed in a food processor or blender)
- 16 saltine crackers (crushed into crumbs with a rolling pin)
- 1/ 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whipped salad dressing or mayo
- 1/ 4 cup dill pickles (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- 1 teaspoon capers in Balsamic (minced and rinsed- if you can’t find Balsamic use regular)
- Oil for deep frying
- Preheat deep fryer to 350F
- Prepare the bread and crackers, and then mix them together in a shallow dish large enough to coat the fish fillets.
- Place the 1/4 cup flour in another shallow dish. In a 3rd dish using an electric mixer combine the eggs and 1/4 cup mayo or salad dressing.
- Roll the fish fillets lightly in the flour, then the egg mixture, and then press and roll them in the bread and cracker crumbs. Set aside on a plate.
- To prepare the Tartar Sauce, in a small bowl mix together the pickles, pickle juice, 3/ 4 cup mayo or salad dressing; set aside in the refrigerator.
- Deep-fry the fish 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with the tartar sauce.