Crunchy Deep-fried Fish Recipe
- 1 pound good quality white fish fillets (I used cod in this recipe)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- oil in the deep fryer for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup milk mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice – let rest 15 minutes before using. This is a substitute for buttermilk which works out especially well with the fish.
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat deep fryer 375F.
- In a wide dish such as a pie dish whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt, black pepper, oregano, cayenne pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- In a medium size, bowl mix together the milk mixture and ½ cup cornstarch.
- Pat fish fillets dry. Roll each piece of fish in the flour mixture, dip in the milk mixture, and then roll them again in the flour mixture.
- Deep fry in 2 batches until fish is golden brown.
- Drain on paper toweling and serve.