I don’t prepare a lot of pizza recipes but there seems to be quite a buzz about grilled pizzas so I decided to give it a try. I cheated a little bit and used refrigerated pizza dough, but I am sure if you used your favorite pizza dough recipe, it would work out fine.
I used a gas grill to do this pizza and the heat seemed to distribute itself very well to brown the pizza crust. The process of cooking the crust was a lot easier than I had pictured it to be.
I used smoked sausage for this recipe, but you could also use fresh, it would just take a little longer to grill it. Outside of grilling the crust preparing grilled pizza is not a lot different than preparing a traditional pizza.
The next time you’re in the mood to fire up the grill, give Grilled Pizza a try. Enjoy
Grilled Smoked Sausage and Pepper Pizza Recipe
- 1 pizza crust (for a 12-inch pizza)
- 1 pound smoked Polish sausage
- 1 large orange or red pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup fresh Basil (roughly chopped)
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat and oil grill grates on medium-high heat.
- Grill polish sausage until the casing starts to break. (Should have a little bit of a char) Let cool and slice sausage diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces.
- While the sausage is cooking roll out a piece of aluminum foil to a size of 12 x 14 inches. Spray the aluminum foil on one side with cooking spray.
- Place the crust in the center of the foil and push it out to the edges of the foil to form a rectangular crust; spray the top of the dough with cooking spray.
- Lower the grill heat to medium low and place the crust on the grill dough side down and gently peel off the aluminum foil. (save the foil)
- Grill uncovered until crust is golden brown. (Watch the crust closely this only takes a few minutes.) Using a large spatula flip the crust and cook just until the crust firms up – slide the crust back onto the piece of aluminum foil browned side up.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the crust, sprinkle on the basil, and 1 3/4 cups of cheese. Then distribute the sausage and pepper evenly over the top.
- Top with the remaining cheese; slide the pizza off the aluminum foil back onto the grill, and grill covered until crust is brown and cheese is melted.