Warning-Warm apple pie with ice cream is so good it has to be evil.
My apple trees set fruit so heavy this year their branches were almost breaking so I couldn’t let the season go by without making at least one apple pie.
My original thought was to make an additional apple pie for Thanksgiving; along with a pumpkin-but because I was not able to keep my hands off of the first one I decided I would table the idea and just make 1 pumpkin pie instead. I guess my thinking is if it’s not there I won’t be tempted to eat it.
Making homemade apple pie is really simple. Most of the work is in the preparation for the pie crust. Other than that it is mostly peeling and slicing the apples, applying the seasoning, and baking the pie.
You can use your favorite pie crust recipe, or use the store-bought refrigerated crusts for a 9-inch pie. For the filling in this pie, I used Instant Tapioca, but that is optional, you can also use flour instead.
Tip: One of the things I like to do when making a pie that has a top crust, is cover the edges with aluminum foil to keep them from browning too quickly; you would be surprised at the difference this makes.
How to Make Apple Pie
- 1 set of 9-inch pie crusts (your favorite recipe or store bought)
- 2 tablespoons Instant Tapioca (or 2 tablespoons of flour)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 cups apples (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Prepare the apples and place them into a large bowl. Gently mix in all the ingredients except for the butter and pie crust. Let the mixture rest for about 15 minutes while you are preparing the crust.
- Lightly spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray and spread the bottom crust over the bottom and up the sides of the dish. Distribute the apple mixture evenly over the crust. Shave butter in thin slices on top of the apples and then lay the second crust on top, and seal the edges. Cut several slits in the crust for venting.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy