Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounces) can be sliced pineapple, drained
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in the iron skillet.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over butter.
- Arrange pineapple slices on top brown sugar/butter.
- Place cherries in center of slices.
- Beat remaining ingredients till well blended.
- Pour over pineapple in the skillet and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and turn onto a heat-proof plate.
- Do not let the cake cool in the cast iron skillet-it probably will stick.