Chicken Parmesan is one of my favorite supper dishes, but with only 2 of us at home, it is nice to be able to cut the recipe down a little bit. This Chicken Parmesan recipe is designed for 2 people, but if the chicken breasts are small you can stretch 3 out of it. (the local markets smallest package was three, but they were small – so I had some leftovers, which was fine). Be sure to pound the chicken breasts down to the same thickness so they cook equally.
If your cooking for 2, and like Chicken Parmesan, give this recipe a try; it’s really good!
Chicken Parmesan for Two
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28-ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Chicken and Pasta
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6-ounces each)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces Vermicelli
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ ounce grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet or medium size sauce pan over medium heat – heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil until shimmering. Add the garlic, ¾ teaspoons of salt, oregano, and red pepper flakes; cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and sugar, bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, loosely cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining olive oil; set aside and keep warm.
- Pound chicken down to about ½ inch and let set for 20 minutes to come to room temperature.
- While sauce is cooking, cook pasta according to package directions for al dente, drain, and reserve ½ cup of the pasta water. (to cook pasta 2 quarts water and ½ teaspoon salt) When the sauce is done mix ¾ cup of the sauce into the pasta; set aside and keep warm.
- In a shallow dish whisk together the flour and egg until smooth. Place the bread crumbs in another shallow dish like a pie plate.
- Preheat broiler with rack 4 inches below element
- Dip chicken in the egg mixture letting any excess drip off, and then roll chicken in the bread crumbs. In a large skillet over medium high heat cook chicken using the cooking oil until nicely browned (I cooked them to 160F on this step).
- Place chicken on a broiler pan and top chicken with mozzarella cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and starts to brown.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of sauce over the chicken, and mix any leftover sauce into the pasta. If needed mix in some of the reserved pasta sauce to adjust the consistency of the pasta. Enjoy
Adapted from Cooks Country