The plan was to purchase breakfast sausage from the store but it was all frozen and I didn’t have the time to let that out so I decided to put my own together. I purchased the ground pork for this recipe but you could easily grind your own if you have a grinder available.
Whenever I do this I try and make a little extra so I can freeze some of the sausages. This recipe is mildly seasoned so you might want to add the cayenne pepper to taste if you want to turn up the heat a little bit.
Fresh homemade breakfast sausage is a nice treat and it’s not as hard to make as you think; give it a try.
Homemade Maple Flavored Breakfast Sausage Recipe
- 2 pound of ground pork
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dry sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 11/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl starting with the ground, pork mix all the ingredients together except for the butter. (Using your hands work best for this)
- Form the bulk sausage into patties and cook in butter until browned and done. (Internal temperature of 145F.)
- Makes 16 depending on size
Adapted from Cooks Country