I planned on preparing baked beans for a fish fry and I forgot to pull and soak the beans the night before. I know there are other ways to do this, but soaking the beans seems to work out the best for me.
I decided not to give in and purchase store-bought baked beans. My son has a Southern Baked Beans Recipe on his blog(blogchef.net) that he prepared for a fish fry when he was at home from college. This is a simple recipe and in my opinion a lot better than the canned baked beans from the grocery store.
If you put all the ingredients together you can bake the beans while you are preparing the rest of the supper.
Give this Quick and Simple Southern Baked Beans Recipe a try; they are really good.
Quick and Simple Southern Baked Beans Recipe
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 cans pork and beans (16 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ pound sliced bacon (cut into ½ inch pieces)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crispy. Drain on paper toweling.
- In the same skillet cook using the bacon fat, cook the diced onion until onion is tender and starts to brown.
- Mix all ingredients together in a 1½ quart coverable casserole dish including the bacon drippings from the skillet.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes or until bubbly.