I am always looking for good fried chicken recipes, especially ones that use the deep fryer. This Batter Fried Chicken Recipe caught my eye because there was very little brine time involved-I needed something for supper I could get started right away.
It seems like every time I deep fry chicken I have to be real careful so they don’t get over browned before they are fully cooked. I think this is because most of the recipes use milk as one of the batter and brine ingredients.
Anyway; this recipe was perfect, every piece of chicken was golden brown and done to perfection with a crisp and delicious coating.
If you like deep fried chicken give this Batter Fried Chicken Recipe a try; you’ll love it.Print
Batter Fried Chicken Recipe
- 1 cut up chicken (about 4 pounds with breasts cut in half crosswise)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 5 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 3/4 cups cold water
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- In a large container mix the ingredients together for the brine. Submerge the chicken in the brine and marinate refrigerated for at least one-half hour.
- I started to make the batter and heating the oil while the chicken was bringing, and it worked out time wise about right.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper and then mix in the water until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat deep fryer to 340F. drain the chicken and pat dry with paper toweling.
- Dip chicken in the batter using tongs, letting any excess batter drip off before placing the chicken in the deep fryer. The deep fryer should maintain a temperature of around 325 degrees.
- Cook chicken until golden brown and internal temperature is reached of 165F. for the breast meat and 175F. for the dark meat.
- Drain on paper toweling and serve hot