Have you ever attempted to use an ordinary spoon to remove ice cream? It’s not the best situation, as you risk bending the spoon. The Ice Cream Scooper gives you better leverage with a stronger handle and deeply curved spoon that allows the ice cream to curl up for the ideal dessert ball presented in a bowl.
There are normally two versions of the Scooper: one with a static, basic design and one with a separating feature. Both options function perfectly, albeit the separator version serves large quantities of ice cream more quickly. Once the ice cream is scooped, the separator function makes it simple to remove it off the spoon by slicing it from the surface with a thumb actuator.
What is an Ice Cream Scooper?
Although it can also handle other thick materials like cookie dough, an ice cream scoop is a culinary tool used to serve ice cream. The scoop’s sturdy design enables it to withstand use with heavy, rigid materials without breaking or bending, unlike regular scoops and spoons.
These tools are available in numerous kitchen supply stores in various sizes and designs. Unless you consume a lot of ice cream, an ice cream scoop is not a piece of crucially important kitchen equipment, but it can be helpful to have one on hand.
A simple scoop resembles a large, reinforced spoon with a deep bowl instead of a shallow one. The scoop’s deep bowl digs into the ice cream to extract a circular portion, and its sturdy design prevents it from bending. Some ice cream scoops also contain a trigger handle, which forces the ice cream out of the scoop and into the serving bowl using a small piece of metal. This feature is useful because removing ice cream highly from the scoop can be difficult.
Who Invented the Ice Cream Scoop?
Businessman and inventor Alfred L. Cralle originally filed for a patent on the “ice cream mold and disher” in 1897 after observing servers straining to remove ice cream from spoons in the hotel he was a porter for. Modern scoops with the scraper mechanism are designed after his original tool.
Early in the 1930s, Sherman Kelly was on vacation in Florida when he observed a woman scooping ice cream who had developed calluses and blisters all over her hand. Seeing an opportunity, he founded the Zeroll Company in his garage and filed a patent for a self-defrosting model that would make scooping ice cream painless. Although the product hasn’t changed much since then, the scoop is now made in Florida.
Best Ice Cream Scoops
Here are some of the best ice cream scoops:
Spring Chef Ice Cream Scoop with Comfortable Handle, Black
- A genuine heavy-duty, strong, sturdy tool with no mechanical gimmicks or moving parts that can break. Plus, it’s Dishwasher Safe. Great for other creative kitchen uses, including scooping out seeds from melons or filling peppers with stuffing. It works amazingly well for gelato and custard and is guaranteed by our Lifetime Warranty.
- It cuts through smoothly and effortlessly so that ice cream curls onto itself, making beautiful and well-proportioned scoops for cones, brownies, sundaes, pies, and more.
- Unique shape that is the best combination of a scoop and spade to help you easily tackle rock-hard frozen desserts. The curved area of the scoop makes brilliant curls, while the thin edges help dig out ice cream from the corners of the container so you can enjoy every last tasty bite. The handle even has a notch to lift container lids which will keep your hands happy.
- Glides smoothly and easily through hard-packed frozen sweets. It will seem like ice cream flows right into the ice cream scoops and drops into your bowl or cone with little to no effort.
- With its pleasant weight, ability to get into hard-to-reach parts of a carton, and excellent handling of hard ice cream – this is the one for you. A simple yet ergonomic design that is easy to clean will make you known for your perfect scooping abilities. The handle is comfortable to hold, easy to grip, and doesn’t freeze your hand like scoops with a metal handle can.
SUMO Ice Cream Scoop, Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Scooper, Comfortable Handle, Dishwasher Safe (Blue)
- Were we tired of your ice cream scooper peeling? So were we. We designed our SUMO ice cream scoop with 100% solid stainless steel.
- Say goodbye to bent spoons, and broken ice cream scoops forever. Our indestructible design is built for life and created to last.
- Forget heated and trigger-release ice cream scoopers. We engineered a BPA-free scoop with an easy-grip handle and chiseled tip that slices through even the hardest cookie dough and ice cream.
- Ice cream scoop can withstand repeated exposure to high-pressure water when being washed. Its premium quality is retained.
- Join our community of 100,000+ trusted customers using SUMO products. We take ice cream scooping seriously and will give you a no-questions-asked lifetime guarantee.
Ice Cream Scoop, 3Pcs Cookie Scoop Set
- The cookie scoops for a baking set of 3. Small size (scoop diameter: 1.6inch/4cm, 1.2Tbsp/23ml/0.8oz). Medium size (scoop diameter: 2inch/5cm, 2.6Tbsp/42ml/1.4oz). Large size (scoop diameter: 2.4inch/6cm, 4Tbsp/60ml/2.4oz). You can use different sizes of the scoop as ice cream scoop, cookie scoop, melon baller scoop, meat baller scoop, or even as measure spoon/scoop to satisfy different needs.
- With the ergonomic trigger release design, only a simple squeeze can make the ice cream scooper release the food easily and neatly. It makes scooping food a breeze. The handles fit hands comfortably. They have not recommended for children to use.
- With the cookie scooper for baking, you can easily create beautiful and different size balls of ice cream, melon, and other fruits, sorbet, cookie dough, muffins, meatballs, mashed potatoes, and kinds of healthy foods. The cookie dough scoop can release the content easily to cups, trays, and bowls. Suitable for use at home, in a restaurant, dessert house, and ice cream parlor. For less pollution, the new packaging box uses corrugated yellow kraft paper.
- The cookie scoop set is made of stainless steel. They won’t rust and keep safe and durable. They are easy to clean. Hand wash and dishwasher are both safe.
- Excellent and versatile kitchen tools. Great for bridal showers, weddings, engagements, anniversaries, birthdays, hostesses, housewarming gifts, and holiday gifts like Mother’s Day.
- The spherical spoon heads on the ice cream scoop with a trigger designated to create the perfectly rounded scoop, while the nonstick press-down trigger can pop it off without effort.
- YasTant metal ice cream scooper has a specially engineered heat conduction path, letting you enjoy the premium feeling of stainless steel under just the right temperature.
- Suitable for all kinds of frozen delicious, such as gelatos, sundaes, and frozen yogurts. Thanks to the premium grade stainless steel structure, the ice cream scoop is made to be used under various working conditions and, possibly, will be the last ice cream scoop spoon you need to buy.
- Not only a metal ice cream scoop and a great scooper for melons and other fruit, fill peppers, make cupcakes, muffins, pancakes, cookie doughs, butter, and more.
- The ice cream scooper with the trigger is dishwasher-safe as your other regular kitchen utensils. With the nonstick surface, residuals on stainless steel ice cream scoop spoon can be easily removed by a simple water flush.
Ice Cream Scooper with Easy Trigger
- The iPstyle ice cream scoop is made of high-quality, Stainless Steel metal, which can slide easily, even in the hardest ice cream and other desserts, without breaking or bending under pressure. As soon as you pick up this ice cream scoop, you will feel the undeniable quality and strength that this product offers.
- The premium scoops give you a better experience of making what you like to eat. Use this cookie scoop to create beautifully rounded balls of ice cream, sorbet, melon, cupcakes, muffins, meatballs, and perfectly portioned cookies, drop biscuits, endless uses.
- Less time washing, more time scooping! Use the best ice cream scoop to make the perfect ice cream ball, easily cut the ice cream, let the ice cream roll on its own, and then make a beautiful and well-proportioned spoon to hold the cones, brownies, sundaes, pies, etc.
- Easy to use: This ice cream scoop with a trigger would easily release filler and save intense effort for our wrists and hands. With an ergonomic trigger system, we could make beautiful cookies, cupcakes, muffins, or ice cream that do not require great hand strength.
- Dishwasher safe as your other regular kitchen utensils. Put this scoop in the dishwasher after using it, and spend more time eating the Ice Cream you love!
What to Look for When Buying an Ice Cream Scoop?
Here are some factors to consider while buying an ice cream scoop:
A handle and a scoop at the top make up the basic ice cream scoop design. The scoop comes in two basic shapes: a portion scoop that compresses the cream into a ball or a curved head that scrapes through the ice cream to curl it into a ball shape. Usually, a portion of the scoop is shortened to simplify cutting into hard ice cream. Due to how the ice cream is packed, portion scoops, also known as dishes, typically include some mechanical release. In mechanical releases, the ice cream is often released via a curved, narrow band that runs inside the scoop. A little lever on some scoops can be pulled to release the ice cream from the portioner.
Ice cream businesses often prefer the single-piece scoop since there are no moving parts that could clog up with frequent use, even though it lacks a mechanical release. Then, using heat, ice cream can be softened by putting the scoop in warm water, as many ice cream establishments do, or by transferring heat from the handle to the scoop.
The scoop itself is the most crucial component of the ice cream scoop. However, there are various handle designs. The material used to create a standard one-piece scoop will also be used to create the scoop’s bowl. Others might have an ergonomic grip or a rubber coating for comfort. But if a single-piece scoop contains a liquid that conducts heat to soften the ice cream, any covering for comfort would obstruct the heat transfer.
Typically, the release is a lever that can be moved with the thumb or, in certain models, by squeezing the handle. For memorial scoops, the release may alternatively be located on the handle. These areTheyen made to be completed with one hand.
Most ice cream scoops are made of metal, usually aluminum or stainless steel, with a rubber or plastic handle that is either coated on the metal or created separately. Scoops made of aluminum and stainless steel can scoop hard ice cream and have similar benefits. Scooping ice cream with a plastic spoon is less popular and not advised because it won’t last as long or cut through the ice cream as effectively as a metal scoop or bowl.
What is the Best Way to Scoop Ice Cream?
The kind of scoop being used has an impact on scooping. If you’re using a round scoop, you should hold it at an angle and scoop the ice cream in the shape of an s. Then, move the scoop around the tub’s perimeter to level the top of the container for the next scoop.
Typically, spade-shaped scoops are pushed into and over the ice cream’s surface. Even though dipping the scoop into hot water can help it cut through hard ice cream, it can also leave some water behind in the ice cream container, where it will freeze. To make the ice cream easier to scoop, it would be preferable to remove it from the freezer for a short while.
You go for a spoon and begin slicing into a pint of ice cream when an ice cream desire strikes, expecting to scoop some mint chocolate chip into a bowl. However, the spoon flexes and hurts your hand while remaining stationary with the hard ice cream. Let’s stop becoming those individuals. More durable than almost any other kitchen tool is an ice cream scoop. Additionally, it includes a bowl made to transform frozen dairy into beautiful spheres and is more comfortable to use. Whether you purchase pints at the store or spend the time making your own at home, you should choose a scoop that will enable you to perfect that famous appearance.