Sticky, gooey, and delicious! These Barbecued Chicken Kebabs have a delicious combination of flavors, they do take a little time to prepare, because of the time the chicken marinates in the bacon spice mixture, other then that this is a simple recipe. I prepared the recipe as written with the exception of the amount of chicken used which was a little less than the 2 pounds it calls for; so I wound up with 3 Kebabs, instead of 4.
I used wooden skewers, but metal if you have them would be a better choice because even after being soaked they still have a tendency to burn over high heat.
The next time you want to fire up the grill give these Barbecued Chicken Kebabs a try; there great!
- Ingredients for sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons onion (grated)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed)
- Ingredients for chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch chunks)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 slices bacon (cut into ½ inch pieces)
- Directions for chicken
- Process bacon in a food processor until a paste forms. In a large bowl whisk together the paprika's, sugar, and kosher salt, and then work the bacon paste into the mixture. I found using my hands worked best for this. Add the chunks of chicken to the bowl and using your hands thoroughly coat the chicken with the bacon spice mixture. Cover with plastic rap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Directions for sauce
- While chicken is marinating mix all the sauce ingredients together in a small sauce pan. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat and cook until mixture is reduced to about 1 cup, about 5 – 7 minutes. Remove ½ cup to a dipping bowl, and set aside.
- Preheat and prepare grill.
- Thread chicken on 4 skewers. Place skewers on grill grates over medium high heat and grill with cover closed until nicely browned on one side, flip kebabs, and using a brush coat browned side with barbecue sauce. After 2nd side is browned flip kebabs again and coat with sauce. Continue flipping and brushing every few minutes until chicken is done and slightly charred. (165F)
- Remove chicken to a serving platter, cover with aluminum foil, and let rest for 5 – 10 minutes; serve with dipping sauce.
Adapted from Cooks Country Meat Cookbook